Thursday, January 31, 2013

Gratitude

I'm currently working on an assignment for a class based off a book we are reading where we have to pick something and be consciously grateful for it every time we use it/it occurs. After much deliberation I chose to meditate on every time I enter a warm building/bus/car after being outside in this ridiculous cold. What this assignment has taught me thus far though is that, I'm actually quite acutely aware of the small things in my life that are good, the feeling of wrapping up in a warm blanket, a cold drink of water, warm mittens, the beauty of my surroundings after a fresh snow, etc. I think that after my bought with depression, one of the biggest things I did to get out of it was that my dad used to call me every single night and make me list three good things that day. Eventually I just began doing this unconsciously, taking moments in my day to appreciate every good thing, small or large. I just never realized I was doing this because it became such an innate part of my life. Regardless of how it began, I think it is a really good idea to take a few moments every day and be thankful for at least three good things in your life. It helps alleviate stress, depression, and so many other things.

"Choosing to be positive and having a grateful attitude is going to determine how you are going to live your life." -Joel Osteen

2 comments: